Growing Your Faith Getting Started Tip Sheet
What do you want most from a relationship with Jesus?
- A more loving and generous spirit?
- Comfort when truly bad things happen in your life?
- Forgiveness when you hurt others?
- How to forgive others who hurt you?
- Assurance you will go to heaven when you die?
What does Jesus want most from a relationship with you?
- That you love him with all your heart, mind, and spirit.
- That you love your neighbor as yourself.
- That you affirm him as your Lord and Savior.
- That you check in with him daily.
In a perfect world you would set aside a specific time every day to read the Bible and pray to Jesus. Let’s be honest, the pressures of family, friends, work, school, and even church, can be overwhelming and exhausting. There often doesn’t seem to be spare time to spend with the Lord. Good news! Here’s a plan to grow your faith on the run!
- TALK to Jesus! Praying is simply talking Jesus like he’s your best friend – the one who knows your very best (and worst) and loves you through it all. Share your hopes, needs, worries, and concerns for yourself and others. Seek his forgiveness, wisdom, and guidance for your failures and fears. Thank him for your blessings. Quick “flash prayers” can be said on the go and keep you in touch with Jesus all day long.
- LISTEN for answers. Everyone needs a little quiet time to regroup and recharge. Whether you’re walking the dog, chopping vegetables, or painting your fingernails, listen for the still, quiet voice of Jesus. The elusive answer to a dilemma, or the text from a friend you prayed for, may not be coincidence – It may be Godincidence!
- Download a DEVOTION APP. Daily Devotionals are available for women, men, teens, youth, kids, and families. Download several and choose one that speaks to you. Read a page every day – while the coffee brews, in a waiting room, in a car wash, during halftime, while the casserole is baking. You get the idea.
- Download a BIBLE APP and read it with your devotion. https://www.Biblegateway.com has many translations of the Bible including the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV). You can also look up key words like, ”Lord’s Prayer,” and topics like, “faith” and “love.” Don’t know where to begin? Try one of the Gospels – Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John – and read the true story of Jesus. Ask yourself, “What is Jesus saying to me?” How does he want me to live my life?
- DON’T GIVE UP. Growing your faith takes time. We all have good days and bad days. Begin by forming habits that keep Jesus foremost in your mind, like praying and thanking him for loving you. Jesus died to forgive your (and my) bad deeds, so that we could enjoy a close relationship with him now and live with him forever.
Sharing Your Faith Story Getting Started Tip Sheet
What scares you the most about sharing your faith story?
- Revealing secrets about your past? ♥ Be selective
- Embarrassing a spouse or partner? ♥ Generalize
- Don’t know much about the Bible? ♥ You know YOUR story
- Weak writing or speaking skills? ♥ We edit FREE
- Can’t figure out where to begin? ♥ Begin anywhere
Whether you’re age 16 or 86, you have a unique faith story to share. God created you to shine like a light to the world; to share the love of Jesus with those who are lonely, hungry, sick, in prison, and weighed down by failure. Your story matters.
- Get a pocket-sized JOURNAL to take with you. When inspiration strikes, you need to be ready to jot down memories, conversations, and thoughts about your faith journey. What’s your favorite praise song or hymn? Do you know a key Bible verse?
- Download a BIBLE APP onto your phone. www.Biblegateway.com has many translations of the Bible to choose from including, the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV). You can also look up key words like, ”Lord’s Prayer,” and topics like, “faith” and “love.”
- What was your childhood understanding of God? Did your family attend church? Who first told you about Jesus? What questions or doubts did you have? Who helped provide answers? Did you say grace before dinner, or a bedtime prayer? Did you attend Vacation Bible School? What was your favorite song or activity?
- When did you first believe? What circumstances were happening in your life when your faith became real? Did one big event bring you closer to Jesus? Or, did your faith grow over time. Did you respond to a Bible verse, sermon or someone sharing their own faith story? Did a mentor or friend say something that clicked? What did you think? What did you say? How did you feel?
- What difference has loving Jesus made in your life? Have you changed any habits or priorities? Has your faith helped you cope with your own difficult times? Has your faith helped someone else? Where do you “see” Jesus working today? What new adventures have you undertaken? How are you a better person?
- DON’T GIVE UP. Take your time and write as the spirit moves you. Write in the first person, “I”. Be selective – you’re not writing a novel! You don’t have to be perfect. You do have to be honest. This is your unique faith story. Why do you love Jesus?
These tips are designed to get you started. Follow these steps, or jot down random thoughts in your pocket journal. Next, click on the WORKSHEETS link to organize a rough draft. Then, click SUBMIT to have your faith story professionally edited – FREE!